Recordings: Then .vs. Now

    The history of Recordings dates all the way back to before the 1890's. They did not have the technology to make music more widely available. Honestly I feel really bad for the musicians because if they worked for someone important, than they could have to potentially play the same song over and over and over again until there hands bled.
    One invention that helped slightly with that was Edison's phonograph, which basically was a spinning cycle that had a dull needle that dug into some aluminum type stuff, and it could be replayed for a limited amount of time. If I was alive when this was invented I would jump for joy. The phonograph was a huge leap toward full recordings, revolutionary if you may. The next important invention was a more reproducible version of the phonograph, the gramophone. The higher quality allowed for a longer time to listen to the recording. This invention would make me even more happy and I would want to start recording music even if I couldn't sing.
    Once we got in to the 1900's the main invention is something that we still use today. In the 1920's Maxwell invented the electric microphone. This allowed for more consistency and playback. You could also play it whenever you wanted. Besides the Phonograph, I really enjoyed this invention, mainly because I still use it to this date. I dabble in karaoke and the microphone overall makes the experience more enjoyable, which what karaoke is all about.
     Another form of recordings was movies. If earlier forms of movies never evolved into what they are now, many movies and creative risks that were taken with movies, would be irrelevant now and never would've happened. That effects me because once a month my whole family goes to the movies and watches a movie together. If the movies had never evolved into what they are today that wouldn't really possible. I also wouldn't get to see my distant family as much because that is who we meet up with. Also, that is often a spot I meet up with some friends and we hang out. If the movies never would've evolved they would've stayed in black and white, boring, and would have been the same story over and over again. Overall, I don't know where America would be without the new technologies.

Comments